Frequently Asked Questions

Aquatics | Events | Facilites | Fitness & Wellness
Intramurals | Payroll Deduction | Sports Clubs


Q: Are there lifeguards on duty?  A: Yes, there are lifeguards on duty at all times when the pool is open.

Q: Who can participate in the Lifegurad and WSI training classes?  A: Anyone who meets the minimum age requirement can participate, but must pay the appropriate fees for the class.

Q: Can anyone participate in Swim lessons? Group swim lessons offered in the summer are for childern. Private and semi-private lessons are available to anyone.



Q: What events are offered?  A: Special Events offered by Rec Sports include but aren't limited to: Wellness Expo, Island Bash, Family Fun Day programs, and various 5k runs. 

Q: When are the events scheduled?  A: Events are scheduled throughout the year with most occurring in the Fall and Spring.



Q: Who can use the facilities?  A: All currently enrolled students with a SandDollar ID; faculty and staff who have purchased a program pass may use the facilities. 

Q: Are alumni eligible to use the facilities?  A: Yes, with purchase of a program pass.  For further information, visit policies.

Q: Can I bring my child/sibling to workout with me?  A: Yes, if they are under 18 you must supervise them and there is no cost.  Children under 17 are not allowed in the multipurpose rooms while classes are in session. If they are 18 - 25, they are eligible to purchase a program pass with you as a sponsor.

Q: How do I reserve a facility?  A: Fill out the reservation forms and send them to Rec Sports main office to make a request.

Q: When is open gym time scheduled?  A:  For a complete listing of open gym time visit open gym.


Fitness & Wellness

Q: Who can participate in Group Exercise classes?  A: All currently enrolled students with a SandDollar ID; faculty and staff who have purchased a program pass.

Q: How do I sign up for a Personal Trainer?  A: Come by the Dugan Wellness Center and fill out the appropriate forms to register, fees apply.

Q: What is a Wellness Seminar?  A:  An informative session that provides the campus community with information on wellness issues.  They are free and open to anyone in the campus community (no program pass required).

Q: Where can I find self-help resources? A: Recreational Sports has a Wellness Resources page listing various topic areas and web sites.



Q: Who can participate in Intramural Sports? A: All currently enrolled students with a SandDollar ID; faculty and staff who have purchased a program pass

Q: How do I sign up a team? A: Signing up for Intramural Sports is online at To make a team or sign-up as a player, click here.

Q: What if I don't have a team? A: Individuals desiring to play team sports, but not affiliated with a team may register online with and will be assigned to a team by the Intramural Coordinator.


Payroll Deduction

Q: How are rates for faculty and staff determined? A: The membership pass fee is the same rate that students pay in their fees. Students voted to pay $175 per semester. It is part of Texas law that non-students pay a fee that is not less than the fee that students pay.

Q: Why is there no deadline for the Fall, Spring or Summer registration? A: Faculty and staff are eligible to enroll at any time during the year.

Q: Are affiliates or alumni eligible to enroll in the payroll deduction program? A: No, all participants must be employed by Texas A & M University – Corpus Christi.

Q: How soon can I use the Recreational Sports facilities and/or Group Exercise classes after I sign up with the payroll deduction program? A: When you sign up, you will receive a receipt from the Recreational Sports staff. Use this receipt until your SandDollar card is activated (approximately 3 business days).

Q: Are students eligible for the payroll deduction program? A: No, the Recreational Sports fee is included in their student fees.

Q: Can I have payroll deduction done for my significant other or senior dependent? A: Yes, payroll deduction is available for a significant other or senior dependent. You must have currently have payroll deduction in order to do this.

Q: Can my significant other or senior dependent participate in Group Fitness Classes? A: Yes, your significant other can participate in the Group Fitness Classes. Your significant other will need a membership or punch pass, too.

Q: What if I no longer want to participate in the payroll deduction plan? A: Please give written notice to the Recreational Sports office (or email to You will not receive a refund for the current month. If the request is received after the 15th of the month, deduction from your check will end with the 2nd check from that date.

Q: Can I purchase personal training or a locker through payroll deduction? A: At this time, payroll deduction can only be used for membership.

Sport Clubs

Q: What is a sport club?  A: A sport club is a group of students, faculty,and staff voluntarily organized for the purpose of furthering their common interests in an activity through participation and competition. Sport clubs are strictly voluntary.

Q: What types of clubs are established?  A: For a complete list of clubs visit Sport Clubs.

Q: What is the Sport Club Council?  A: Sport Club Council is a group of individuals who pursue a common sport interest through regular participation.